Friday 25 July 2014

Jam jar no more!

I recently was looking on Pinterest and found a lot of DIY's of jam jars/ mason jars being turned into tea lights and candles. Some really didn't show how to do it, so I thought I would give it a try.


What you will need!

- Newspaper/ some old matt/ cloth or I used a bin bag to protect the floor/work surface.
- Might be worth having a mask to protect yourself from the fumes from the spray paint.
- Protective clothing
- Fabric- lace or mesh will do.
- Sellotape
- Scissors
- Mason Jar/ bottle
- Spray Paint

The first thing to do!

Firstly I washed the labels off the jar and bottle, also made extra sure there was no jam left in there. :)
Once dry, I wrapped the bottle in the fabric mesh and used Sellotape to fasten it- this may have been a mistake afterwards. I think it may have been easier to place the fabric over the bottle and slowly rotate the mesh around the bottle when spray painting. The only issue it could get a little messy.


I placed this outside but a well ventilated area would have worked to. I put a bin bag on the floor as I didn't want to spray paint the floor. This was then left to stand to dry over night.
Unfortunately I don't have a photo of the mason jar but I used the same method. But instead of the mesh I wrapped the tape around it in a pattern I imagined it to be something like this…


This morning I pealed gently off the Sellotape and mesh and got something like this…



  It didn't work the way I planned, I do like the effect the mesh made and the Sellotape was actually water tight, as I thought it may let the paint bleed in. I think a thinner tape may have been better so there was a pattern left in a neater form. Or use maybe string to get more zebra, line effect.
It wasn't an epic fail and the best thing about spray paint with a big scrub it does peel off and so you can start again. 
So please try my method and take my advice and hopefully you will have a better result than this :)


P.S. I totally forgot to say pop in a tea light once completed to get the final look and effect, or use it to keep you paint brushes in like I will be doing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS