Tuesday 9 September 2014

Quick Carbonara

The first time I had carbonara was actually at Pizza Express (kids menu). So that was a long time ago, but ever since then I was hooked. This is originally made with spaghetti and parmesan cheese, but I made it with the spirally pasta (Fusilli) and Cheddar cheese. YES people! Cheddar cheese! Obviously if you prefer parmesan do use that, I'm not much of a fan so I use Cheddar. 

For the people who are not sure what carbonara is, it basically is a pasta dish made with bacon, eggs and cream. It super easy to make and you properly have these ingredients at home already! So lets get started. Oh and this recipe is just the right amount for 1 person


You Need:
  • 1 egg
  • 70ml double cream
  • 30g grated Parmesan or Cheddar cheese
  • 3 slices of pancetta or bacon of choice
  • 2 handfuls of pasta
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste

 1) start of by boiling water in the kettle. Add the pasta to a pan with some salt and olive oil, then add the boiling water and cook pasta according to the instructions on the packet. 

2) In a bowl add the egg, cheese, cream, salt and pepper. This will be out sauce so just leave that to the side for the time being. 
3) Grab a none stick frying pan and add the olive oil. Once the oil has warmed up add the bacon. What I normally do it a cut the bacon into pieces by using a pair of kitchen scissors. Once the bacon is nice and crispy (about 5 minutes) you can add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. I crushed by garlic using one of those garlic crusher thingy bobs. I know it looks like a lot of garlic but I do love my garlic! 
4) By this point your pasta should be cooked and before you drain all the starchy water away, grab a spoon and pour 4 tablespoons of the starchy water into your sauce mixture. The reason I do this is to bring up the temperature of the sauce. Not sure if that makes sense but it works just trust me! Add the pasta to frying pan.
5) Mix everything together and then turn the heat off. 
6) Add the sauce and toss pasta to mix everything together. The egg should cook with the warmth of the pasta and bacon. If you do keep the pan on the heat when adding the sauce, you will end up with a scrambled egg sauce rather than a smooth rice sauce. 
7) Your done! plate it up and serve immediately. 
If you do manage to make this please tweet me a picture!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS